Wednesday, August 27, 2008

book recommendations

i want people to stop recommending books to me. i know they do it to be kind... to share with me books that they have really enjoyed. they know i'm a reader and that i'm always on the lookout for my next read.

but i never know what to say when i read their "favorite book" and think it's boring. or, even worse, i hate it. everyone has their own taste in books, but i still feel bad about having to say "it was ok" to something that they have read 10+ times... in the last year.

it always makes me feel better, however, when i go onto goodreads and see that others have given said book low ratings as well. i may not share the taste of a particular friend, but at least i'm not the only one.

all that to say, if you know a good book, please mention it to me. but don't hype it up like it's the greatest thing since Ben Hur (which is amazing, by the way). cuz maybe i won't think so. and then i'll feel guilty. and books should leave you feeling anything but guilty.

and megan, if you're reading this... this does not apply to you and the books you recommend to me.

No comments: